How to Swaddle a Baby | Swaddling Your Baby – Explained
How to Swaddle a Baby | A step-by-step guide to swaddling a baby. Swaddling is the generations-held method of snugly wrapping up your baby. Generations have believed in the following benefits of having their little ones swaddled :
- Comfort & Security – babies feel comfort and security when swaddled ;
- Sleep longer & more securely – the little ones can sleep longer and more soundly as the swaddle recreates the all familiar secure and cozy feeling of the womb ;
- Reduce hypnagogic startles – swaddling can stop your baby from being disturbed in his own startle reflex (hypnagogic startles). This startle phenomena is very common and normal where your baby may do little jerks of his body when he’s sleeping ;
- Calming effect – keeping your baby in a swaddle also helps to settle your baby down when he’s overly stimulated.
How to Swaddle a Baby – A Step by Step Guide
As first pre-requisite, do check that your baby is well and not feeling hungry or wet before swaddling. Keep his face and head uncovered so that there’s no overheating and he can breathe easily. You probably won’t need another blanket on top if your baby is swaddled.
- Spread the swaddle blanket on a flat surface and fold down the top right corner.
- Lay your baby on his back with his head on the fold.
- Pull the corner near your baby’s left hand across his body. Tuck the leading edge under his right arm and around under his back.
- Pull the bottom corner up under your baby’s chin.
- Bring the right-hand corner over and tuck it under his back on the left side.
Do note to just swaddle your baby under his arms if your child prefers to have their arms free.
Video Instructions – How to Swaddle a Baby
Check our Baby Resources :